Monday, June 18, 2012

Vertebroplasty – How Helpful It Can Be


I am 30 years old. Last year I met with an accident when I was moving out of my office. A fast moving car hit me and I fell down on the ground. I could not get up due to tremendous pain in my back bone so I was taken by ambulance to be admitted in a nearby hospital. I was also taken to an emergency ward. Doctors asked for an immediate MRI and CT scan of my back bone to see what injuries I could have sustained.
X-ray was not conducted as x-ray is harmful in the case of a backbone fracture. The MRI and CT scan tests revealed that I did have a broken backbone and if not treated well, I can get paralyzed. At that moment I felt that I will never be able to walk again. I was depressed. The doctors said that the spinal cod fractures are very critical and they take a long time to heal. Bed rest is the only treatment for that. These types of fracture cannot be treated by casting or splinting.
One of my friends consulted another doctor. The other doctor thought that I might have compression fracture. So he suggested vertebroplasty to treat my fractured spinal cord. In the vertebroplasty, a glue-like liquid is injected into the broken bone. This glue becomes hard and fills the fracture gap. This treatment really proved helpful and I recovered very soon from the spinal cord injury. Now I can perform all my activities as I used to perform them before the accident. Thanks to my friend and doctor who suggested this treatment for my injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment